Thursday, December 6, 2007

Intellectuals Take Classes on Natural Childbirth

Warren and I have started to take the childbirth classes recommended by my doctor's practice. It's a really great class because it gives information about a lot of different styles of birth technics instead of just one and it's all tailored to what our doctor will actually do, so everything is relevant. We had our first class on Monday. At first I was worried that I wasn't far enough along and that everyone else would be thinking we were the crazy couple for taking the class so early (I'm 28 weeks and they recommend starting at 32 weeks). So I was relieved to see during the first class that there were a few couples who were due after us and 2 other couples who had our same due date. Part of me was also hoping that there might be a few crazies in the class who would provide us with a source of entertainment with their wacky comments. But everyone is pretty normal!

Yesterday was the second class and we got to tour the labor and delivery wing of the hospital. The teacher told us step by step where we will come in, where we will go and what will happen during each stage of labor. It was awesome and I am totally pumped now to have this kid. Labor doesn't seem like this big unknown now- I feel like it's now been made realistic and it's something I can do.

At the beginning of the class, we watched part of a Bill Cosby comedy routine on child birth. Totally hilarious and I recommend for all. The best line "In these deprived countries, women just go through childbirth. They are in the field picking rice, pssww-boom, the baby is born and they go back to picking rice. My wife and I are intellectuals so we took a class on childbirth. Intellectuals take classes on natural childbirth. Apparently we had to learn about something that will happen naturally."

4 comments:

kenders said...

It is pretty amazing how animals and women in other countries do it all the time on their own or practically with no help. I for one am glad that we live in this age of technology to help with that child birthing process. And I haven't even had a kid yet. :) I'm glad you are enjoying the classes. :) (Hope you had a good day today!)

Glady said...

Bethany,

Hi. It's Gladys. I was clicking around on my blogger looking at different blogs and your blogged popped up. I was like "Whoa, what just happened?" haha but I was really excited at the same time. I just wanted to say hi and I hope that you and Warren are doing fantastic. I heard about the baby, Congratulations!!! Hope you guys are having a fabulous week : ) Let's go shopping in the city soon, finals are almost done for me. Have a good one!!!

Nikki Nelson said...

I really didn't want to take my lamaze class when I was prego with Tug. But I'm SO GLAD that I did. We had an awesome Midwife that taught our class. I think the teacher really is a big part of weather or not you enjoy the class, and how much you can learn from the class. So I'm really glad you're liking your class. I learned A LOT from my classes. I should've taken them again before Tucker was born, actually. I hope you learn a lot, and good luck with the labor... when the time comes.
-Nikki

meagan said...

Glad to see the updates... I like the pregnant picture; very cool.