Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sucess!

Today a grand thing has happened. Allow me to explain...

Sophie has always had trouble sleeping during the day. For awhile she wouldn't take naps. Then we got a swing and a schedule and I finally got her napping. Once we discovered the golden magic of the swing, it became Sophie's bed. She would nap and sleep at night in the swing. People would sometimes give us the "oh" concerned expression when they learned this fact, but frankly I didn't care because my child was sleeping through the night. Sophie began to grow and move and we realized that she couldn't stay in the swing forever. On several occasions, we had tried to get her sleeping in her bassinet but the results were always disappointing. Warren kept insisting that we just move her to the crib, but I had spent good money on the bassinet sheet set and wanted to get some use out of it! I decided over last weekend that this would be the week to bite the bullet and get her sleeping in a proper bed. I (sadly) accepted the fact that the bassinet wasn't cutting it (she was now too long to fit without hitting her head if she moved) and on Monday I built the crib. (I have made peace with the money spent by telling myself that the next child will use the bassinet!)

I began to put Sophie into her new "big girl crib" for both her naps and sleep at night which garnered mixed results. She slept through the night in her new crib...but would only take a 20 min max nap. This happened Monday, and Tuesday, and Wednesday. And of course Sophie was slightly less than delightful to be around :) Today I contemplated caving- maybe it was too much adjustment. Maybe I should keep her in the crib at night but still let her nap in the swing. But after giving it more thought I realized I couldn't cave- I needed to push forward! She was going to sleep in the crib or have no sleep at all! I put her down for her afternoon nap and SUCCESS!!! She has now been sleeping for an hour and half. Hooray! I think she has accepted the crib and her fate to sleep in it. I have prevailed! I AM the parent! And for this brief moment actually feel like the one in charge. HaHA!

5 comments:

kenders said...

Yay!!!! I'm so happy for you that you had such a great break through. Sleep will do wonders for the whole family. :)

The Shane's said...

teach me how to do that!?

Larsen's said...

Hee hee, I remember the days when I thought "I don't care *where* this child sleeps - the roof, the garage, the kitchen table - as long as they SLEEP!" For a long time Amber would only sleep in a play pen.

Anyways, glad that you are sticking to the crib...keep it up!

Karen C. said...

I went through the exact same thing with Julie--can you believe that! She would only sleep in a swing and I didn't care because I needed to sleep too. Anyway, you're a great mom and Sophie is lucky to have you. And, I think Julie turned out pretty good so there is hope for Sophie too! You ARE the conquerer!

Anonymous said...

Go boo! you rock. Hope the next 18 years are as successful!

xoxo