You know those times when you feel like you should say something but you just aren't sure? This morning I had one of those experiences. The Sophers and I have been attending a weekly music class at the city's rec center for the past several weeks. The class is full of moms/nannies and children. There's one mom who I've talked with several times who I think is pretty cool and today I sat next to her. As the class was starting I noticed that she had a black smudge on her forehead. I immediately became conflicted and start having a debate in my head over whether I should tell her. See, I have had similar experiences occur where my child has spit something on me/thrown something on me/marked my face only to realize it after I've been in a group of people. I'm always embarrassed and wondering why no one was courteous enough to help me out and tell me I have throw up in my hair (or whatever). Not wanting her to see the smudge later and only feel embarrassed that nobody told her, I wanted to say something. And yet at the same time, part of me wondered if it was more proper to just ignore it. As I battled in my head, I finally decided to follow the good saying of "Do unto others as you would want done unto you" and so I decided to quickly mention something. The song ended, the children ran to grab instruments, and I leaned over. "I'm sure you totally know this, but it's happened to me before and I just wanted to make sure you knew that your son got you with a stamp on your forehead."
She politely smiled and simply said "Today is Ash Wednesday." Cue humiliation, embarrassment and mortification on my part. I stumbled, trying to recover and say something to play it off so that it didn't seem that I was trying to embarrass her and that I wasn't a complete moron for not paying attention to the calendar.
It's situations like this that remind me this is why you're just supposed to keep your mouth shut.

11 comments:
This is so funny cause today at the Dr. I noticed the receptionist had the same thing the second we walked in. I know she caught me staring because I could've sworn there was a spider on her forehead!
HAHA! A coworker of mine and I were just talking about this earlier today so I knew right away what it was. Sad that it had to happen to you, though.
Cute cartoon to go with the moment. From the beginning of the post, I somehow knew it was going to be for Ash Wednesday or something religious like it. Don't worry, you are definitely not the only one with foot-in-mouth disease! I'm guilty, too.
Oh, sorry! That's frustrating. I didn't know either. I hate that when you're like, do I say something or not?
LOL, I used to think that, too! - "What happened to that person?!" ...but now you will never forget when you see that, that it is Ash Wednesday. In fact, when it is, you will totally notice just how many people have that...
Don't beat yourself up :) It was completely innocent and well intended. No need to feel embarrassed!
That is a hilarious story...thanks for sharing!
There are a LOT of Catholics in St. Louis so I am very familiar with the smudged foreheads on Ash Wednesday. However, I still managed to be caught off-guard when I saw a man at the mall with a huge dark line on his forehead. It seriously looked like he had been blugeoned by an axe-weilding maniac. I kept thinking about how much it must have hurt and I just stared at him with a pained look on my face. Fortunately, I realized what it was before the man noticed me staring at him. I think his priest must have been more vigorous than most priests. Anyway, thanks for the good laugh!
My best friend in Utah is Catholic and this happens to her EVERY Ash Wednesday...I'm sure your friend is used to it to. =) I wouldn't feel too bad. If anything you proved that you're a true friend because you weren't afraid to say anything!
You aren't the only one! I didn't realize it was Ash Wednesday until we were watching the 10 o'clock news!
Maybe you should just get a sign that says, "I know you want to look like me so I'm going to tell you how."
Post a Comment