Friday, February 6, 2009

Apartments: A Place to Live AND Free Entertainment

Most people look at apartment living as a stop on the way to home ownership. While there are a rare breed who live 13+ years in the same one bedroom, the majority of us spend our time in the apartment thinking of when we will get out. I started to realize though the other day that there are several perks that come along with living in an apartment- most specifically my apartment building- and that is the free entertainment we constantly get to enjoy.

Let me share some of the many examples of how we are entertained:
-Everyday around 4pm I can count on my neighbor down the hall to bust open his door and start blasting the classic rock (most specifically the kind with keyboard solos). If I'm lucky, he's also walking up and down the hallways with his ponytail up, his shirt off and beer in hand.
-Who needs the soaps when you had our old upstairs neighbors? Wrong as it may be, it was always fun to tune in and listen when we could hear fighting, especially when they starting throwing things at each other.
-You always know when a Yankees game is on because our neighbor downstairs has his door open and is either swearing up a storm or saying prayers to God that they'll win. He's a lovely fellow though and always offers to get the door for me as he's roaming the hallways in his undershirt and red gym shorts.

See what I'm saying- so much free entertainment and the kind that only comes from living in a shared building. There are those times when people choose to entertain us when we aren't in the mood to be entertained though. Like say on a Saturday night at 1am when two homeless people start fighting at the bus stop that's right in front of our place. Or say like last night, when at 4:30am some yahoo girl decides to crash her convertible Mustang into the power line in front of our building causing it to completely crack and fall over on her car. Amazingly, she was unharmed.
Now, lest you think I am some mean person who is oogleing over the hardship of another, let me explain that I took this picture because right after the accident happened and before the police arrived, it looked like the driver was going to try and make a run for it and I wanted to catch her car/license plate info just in case. How might you ask was she going to get away? Oh, well she was trying to lift the pole off the top of her car. LOLOL! After we had a good chuckle at her attempt, we tried to go back to bed to no avail as half the Burlingame police and fire department decided to continue to "enterntain" us by cleaning up the mess with their loud sirens and fancy flood lights. Said Warren "Check out how big these awesome lights on the top of the firetruck are!" to which I replied "I don't need to come and check, they are blinding my eyes from here in bed."

8 comments:

Tom and Stef said...

You can still find entertainment in neighbors when you own too...We have seen the pastor around the corner end up sideways on the sidewalk from speeding on the curve in snowy conditions. And it is always entertaining to watch our neighbor drive completely into his over grown bushes (to the point that he disappears) with his riding lawn mower to avoid using his edger. We have enjoyed the latter eating pizza on our back patio.

Jen said...

Oh man the joys of living right off a major street eh? One night there were actually PAVING crews in front of our house...dude it was 4 am and they were repaving the road..ARE YOU KIDDING ME? =)

Laura said...

You forgot to mention the perk of the getting high for free. Just walk outside or open your window, and you can instantly be assaulted by a marijuana cloud!

I heard that Warren acts that same way during Yankees games. :)

Michael Larsen said...

Yeah, I remember some of this entertainment when Christina used to live off El Camino and State Street in San Mateo. Actually, wehn we lived in San Francsico, we had some of the best entertainment imaginable courtesy of some of our neighbors (ah the joys of houses packed right next to each other :D.

kenders said...

Sorry you had a rough night. So true though. Apartment buildings do not lack DRAMA!

Were any of the fire fighters your former pals? That would have been pretty funny if they were.

Petersons said...

Life is boring on our side of the building:( During the summer we get to see some of the guys in the building tan in a speedo, pretty funny stuff but that's about it.

Mike said...

We also got a front row seat for the entertainment the other night. I'm just amazed it didn't knock out half the power to Burlingame. You know -- in this town if you just breathe on a powerline the wrong way we have a blackout for a week.

Karen C. said...

Man! I wish I lived in an apartment. You guys have all the fun. Did Sophers sleep through all the excitement?