Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Hammers are Gone

For the past four years, we have been exceptionally lucky living in the apartment we have. It's a great location, good on rent, but more than anything we've had the Hammers. Mike, Erika and Gabe moved into the Viking shortly after us, to manage the place. We had known them a bit before from church but we could have had no clue how great it would be to have them close by or rather in the apartment directly below us. I never understood before what people meant when they said great neighbors can make the place- now I understand perfectly because I got to live near them.

There are so many many things I'm grateful for that they've done for us, I can't even begin to think of everything...but to name a few:
1) The many dinners and desserts that they shared with us- Mike introduced us to bacon wrapped dates and now I can't imagine a life lived without eating one. And I still remember how good the pasta dish was that they brought us right after I had Sophia. I literal inhaled it off the serving plate because it was so good I couldn't wait to put it on a regular plate.
2) Being able to run down and borrow the random ingredient I'd forgotten and being able to return the favor (although I'm sure you helped me way more often Erika).
3) The saving grace of being able to leave my baby monitor with them when the baby was napping and I needed to run a quick errand or just needed a moment to myself.
4) Just knowing that you have someone close by who had your back was amazing. Whether it meant that they were on the lookout for prowlers while you were away or they were just there for a heart to heart when you needed one- you knew you were just covered.

Sadly for us, but excitedly for them, they moved this past month. They found a perfect place for their little family and bought a house in Brentwood. As much as it has hurt to see them go, because I know what an exciting jump this was for them, I can't be anything but supportive. But, on Sundays like today when I come home to the building and I don't smell Mike's delicious aromas from dinner roaming through hallways, and I don't hear Gabe's cheerful screams as he plays lightsabers, it makes me sad. I miss my friends.

So here's to you dear Hammers:
Good managers
Great neighbors
The best of friends

5 comments:

Erika said...

Thanks Bethany. I've really missed my friends since we have been here. If we could just take this house and plunk it down in Burlingame I'd be a happy camper.

Larsen's said...

I second everything you said, plus, Erika was the best secretary ever! :)

Michael Larsen said...

Three cheers for the Hammer's. We miss them, too!

Russell said...

Um, you didn't mention that since they were the managers, they never towed your friends' cars when they parked in the no parking zones. That's a huge plus.

Mike said...

We were fantastic managers, no doubt about it. Thank you for the kind words, Bethany. We really miss you guys, and the whole crew from Crystal Springs I.