Sunday, January 24, 2010

Organization

I love organization- I love planning things, making lists, label makers, shelves, filing cabinets...just everything and anything that creates a sense of organization. And it's not that I just like it...it makes me excited and happy. Like night before Christmas or giggling like a school girl excited. I know, this makes me totally dorky or others would say OCD. But I can't help it...organization just so great and makes things precise and wonderful.

A few weeks ago, I was at a friend's house and saw a fabulous organizational idea- she has a tiny whiteboard on her fridge listing out the meals for the week and the chore for the day. I love this idea as I often find myself making week long lists of things to do and errands to run, but I don't often plan out the day to day routine things (and then find myself either without time to do them or having time but not knowing where to start). Her board was just what I needed to keep myself focused and utilize more minutes in my day. I held myself off for a whole week, and then promptly went down to Walgreens and purchased my own mini whiteboard.

I started my board mid-week last week and I have to say I've been quite successful at getting things done. It's been especially helpful in light of all the rain we've been having. Instead of just sitting around getting stir-crazy, I look at the board and then think "What can I do now to get dinner going?" Or "I'll work on that project". It's also been good motivation to remind me to read my scriptures everyday as I want to be able to put a check in the box. Nothing worse than an empty box...

My board is great. One day though, I plan on graduating to this:

The Daily System from Pottery Barn

2 comments:

Amy said...

Whoa, that pottery barn board is like the mother-ship. I totally know what you mean about putting a check in the empty box. I feel the same way.

Nikki Menda said...

You're such a virgo :) Takes one to know one! Good for you!