Monday, February 15, 2010

Snip, Snip

February 10th was a glorious day- it was the first time I got to take Sophia to get her haircut, her first trip to the salon. For me this was the equivalent of a father taking his son to their first ballgame. You see, I have always loved doing girly types of activities- but growing up I had no sisters and a mom who wasn't into those types of outings, so I always did things by myself. I've secretly hoped as Sophia has grown that she would be my buddy for girly things. Now, I would never force Sophia into anything or push her towards something she didn't like; but it seems on her own, she is turning into a girly girl. So I was thrilled with this haircut opportunity and decided to make the most of it.
I wanted to make the experience a good one, so I talked it up for days beforehand saying how much fun it was to get your haircut and how if she did well and held still, we would get ice cream afterwards. Sure enough my positive conditioning worked- the morning of I went to get her out of bed and I said "We're getting your haircut today, are you excited?" To which she responded "Treat?" :)
For comparison and family album purposes, here are some before shots:

We went over to Just Kids Cuts in Burlingame and had a great experience. Sophia sat in the chair just like a little adult and enjoyed herself as I fed her goldfish and she watched Toy Story on the little screen in front of the chair. It seems silly, but I was just so proud of her that she sat there still and didn't jerk around or make it hard for the lady to cut her hair; and it made me feel excited that she seemed to enjoy herself. It was just fun knowing as it was happening that this was the first of many fun outings we would get to have... that even if it only lasted until she was a teenager and felt she was too cool for me, I was finally going to get to have memorable fantastic experiences with someone who shared my interests.

The cut

After

Afterward, we went over to Royal Donuts, where we celebrated with donut holes for Sophia and ice cream for Mommy. And the icing on the cake was that Sophia got to see one of her favorite things as we sat there- the train rolling by.

4 comments:

Larsen's said...

How fun! You should be very proud - I remember taking Nick to get his haircut for the first time and it was awful, he hated it, and ended up crying the entire time as we had to hold him down. I am glad you are having such fun with your little girl! :)

Karen C. said...

Oh! Such a fun mommy/daughter day. I wish I could have come along--especially for the treat part!

For your next adventure, you need to take her for a pedicure. That's my favorite mommy/daughter day. Although, my daughters are a bit older than Sophie... But when it comes to pedicures, they are never too cool for me!

Amy said...

Oh my goodness, I love this post. I don't know why I haven't noticed that you updated your blog until just now. Sorry! I'm so glad her first haircut experience went so well, and it sounds like so much fun to have a little sweetie like her to go with. She looks adorable.

Rashole said...

I thought that your title was referring to surgery for Warren.

I can't believe that you have a two year old. It seems like it was yesterday that you decided to have your baby at home.