Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Long Drive

During the 3rd week of August we took a loooooooong drive. And ended up in Fresno. We went there to hang out with Warren's sister Kara and her family. His mom and sister Meridith came up for a day to visit too. It was a fantastic time just hanging out and enjoying family. Kara has 2 girls who are similar in age to ours. It was pure joy seeing Maddie (4) and Sophia (3) become instant best buds. Their need to constantly do what the other was doing was only made sweeter be the fact that they happened to have several matching outfits (smart Costco shoppers we moms are) and so they often looked alike as they tried to imitate each other. :)
Our time was spent lounging around the house, swimming in their friend's pool and taking a trip to a sweet little farm.
Eleanor and cousin Amelia
 A mama and a llama
 Petting the miniature horse (we learn that apparently miniature horses and ponies are two different things. Go figure.)
 Sitting with Daddy
 I don't know what everyone was looking at
 but it captured everyone's attention
 Up close with the fainting goats (yup, I said fainting goats. It's a breed of goat. They'll have episodes where their legs lock, they faint and fall right over. Lucky for me, I didn't see it happen as I'm the insensitive one who would have burst out laughing if I saw it happen in real life. Or I would have commended the goat on it's killer "death drop" dance moves.)
 Precious Amelia trying to get the goat to eat a carrot by making kissing noises
 My oldest is very cautious and wouldn't go near the dog. My Eleanor got close to it's face and started laughing when it licked her feet.
 In between meeting the different animals, it was time to do leafing counting and pretend cooking.
 Sebra sibs and mom
 Running with the goats
 After an hour of being there, Sophia finally felt courageous enough to feed a goat. We were so proud that she was willing to step outside her comfort zone.
 And of course once she realized they weren't scary, she was all over the goats and even kissing them. I would have been ok if she had just stopped with petting :)
 Kara getting in touch with her farmer ancestry
 Skipping with Maddie and Grandma = joy for Sophia
 While at Kara's, this little girl kept finding her way into all the cupboards and drawers
 Every morning, the girls would wake up and snuggle with Kara while watching cartoons
 The sitting was always short lived and then it was off to nonstop movement and toy time

After 4 days at Kara's house, we said goodbye and headed north. As we pulled away from the house, Sophia sat sobbing in her carseat. "I miss my cousin Maddie. I love her." It was the first time I felt genuinely sad about taking Sophia away from something she wanted (normally it's just a toy or food she's crying about). But we had to head north because we were headed to San Jose to see my brother return from his mission.

The plan was to surprise my family (who didn't know we were coming) at baggage claim. In true Blank form, my parents and brothers were at the wrong security exit, missing my brother coming from his plane, and we (me, Warren and the kids) who were hiding down in baggage claim found Dallin wondering about ready to walk out in to the long term parking area. The surprise part was a bit of a bust, but it was cool for us all to be together for Dallin's return.

Riding for hours in the car makes you sassy. Oh wait, that's just how I normally am.
2 years older, more mature...and yet still won't pose properly for a picture :)
 There's a real smile!

As it was the first time we were all together in 2 years, and the next time might not be for at least a year or so, I forced convinced everyone to take a family picture.

They of course did what they always do- not look at the camera/ give the Blue Steel pose/
 hid in the trees
 And of course not a single picture got everyone looking at the camera looking normal. LOL!
This is what you get when your neighbor thinks he's clever and has people say a word other than cheese
Really though, a family picture is about showing a moment in time and that everyone is all accounted for. And so as long as I always put 2 or 3 of these pictures together, mission accomplished :)
This is just a bonus picture. I love Eleanor thighs- I kiss and bite them daily :)
While in CA, we were fortunate to be able to see my grandparents (Egli). I cherish the moments that I get to spend with them.
 We did the drive back in two parts, stopping in Medford. The highlight being the Harry & David's general store and of course jumping on the hotel beds.

Our trip was only a week long, but somehow when you do over 1700 miles of driving, it feels like you've been gone much longer.

No comments: