A week before Thanksgiving, I got a call from my Dad. "So what would you think about your mom, and I and your three brothers all coming up to your house for Thanksgiving?" And just like that our peaceful little small Turkey weekend turned into a full blown affair.
We hosted everyone from Wednesday to Sunday. I got to cook my first Thanksgiving meal, my parents chopped down an Oregon Christmas tree to take back to California and my brothers all got to see where I now live.
Cooking: I love to cook and Thanksgiving is like the Superbowl for cooking. I did all the cooking, not because others were unwilling but because I wanted to, and I am pleased to say I only served dinner 20 minutes later than expected. I was very proud.
My first cooked bird.
The menu: turkey, whipped sweet potatoes, mashed buttermilk potatoes, homemade dinner rolls, green bean casserole with shallots, cauliflower augratin, butternut squash & brussel sprouts, stuffing, pumpkin pie & pumpkin cheesecake
Papa and his girls
Giving thanks before the meal
Activities during their stay included Black Friday shopping, a trip to the Nike store, a movie, go cart racing, trips to the park and chopping down a Christmas tree for my parents.
We took them out to Lee Farms where Sophia immediately identified a "Sophie-size tree".
Eleanor and Papa- they've been best buds since he first held her last Christmas
Sophia and Uncle Matt
Dallin loves to pose as soon as he knows you are taking his picture
Joseph just hides from the camera until you chase him down and even then he'll never hold still so a normal picture can be taken.
They finally found a big tree that passed approval. And they loved it all the more when they realized at this farm someone else would cut and haul it to the car for you.
So there you have it. Thanksgiving 2011- all the normal Blank family fun but this time in the Northwest :)
No comments:
Post a Comment