Do you know what happens when you make fun of people who intentionally have a home birth? You unintentionally have one yourself. This is exactly what happened to us. On Sunday February 17, 2008 @ 10:26 AM little baby Sophia Lynne Sebra was born at our apartment. The whole experience started at around 3AM for Bethany and around 5AM for me and really kicked into gear at 8:45AM when Bethany was getting ready to head to hospital and said to me “Warren come quick I think the Baby is coming now!” I then quickly called 911 when I saw little Sophia’s head was crowning and that despite my herculean muscles there was no way I could pick up Bethany and get her into the car, nor would she have let me. I initially thought that I would have to deliver the baby myself and that scared me because my only experience in child birth is those birthing videos they show during those baby preparation classes everyone takes these days. But when the Police first showed up they provided some comfort to me and when the paramedics came I knew I wasn’t going to deliver the baby myself. Initially we called 911 thinking that they would help take Bethany to the hospital as her contractions became so strong she couldn’t even move. I was suprised when the paramedics proudly announced that the baby was going to be delivered in our apartment.
After the initial shock of being told that, Bethany went to work and the baby came with about an hour and half of pushing. Sophia shot out like a torpedo and the thought passed my mind "you better not drop her". I was glad the firemen was somewhat coordinated and didn't flinch when she shot out. Soon after Sophia came I cut the cord, well actually sliced the cord with a scalpel the paramedics provided.

Although the paramedics were great, we’ve come to the conclusion that they probably don’t deliver babies every day. A few times while Bethany was pushing I asked the paramedics if they could take Bethany to the hospital. They dismissed this idea and said this baby is going to come any minute. I was mostly worried because they told me they couldn’t monitor they baby. Despite this we still owe them a batch of brownies because Sophia is so adorable and we are so blessed.

Some funny things I remember Bethany said during the labor process:
5:15 AM Bethany said: “Whenever we go the hospital…..which will not be today”
5:30 AM Bethany said: “I thought if I had something left on my list she wouldn’t come”
6:40 AM Bethany said: “We are not having the kid on Wednesday”
6:45 AM Warren said: “I finished our taxes yesterday” Bethany: “That’s great”
9:15 AM Bethany said: “Not the good towels, use the other ones!”

2 comments:
Oh my goodness! That is so crazy! I am SO glad that everything turned out okay and that there wasn't anything traumatic. Bethany is a ROCKSTAR!! Congratulations and Sophia is darling!
Hey guys, congratulations! What an amazing story! We always made fun of those people who do home births on purpose too, but we're 5 weeks away from having our baby so I think I won't say anything else! She's beautiful!
Post a Comment