Friday, March 14, 2008

prisoner or just a new mom?

Today I realized that if I have many things in common with a prisoner serving time in jail. In fact, if I were to describe my daily activities, a person probably wouldn't be able to tell if I was prisoner or just a new mom. I will explain:

I am confined daily to a small space (my apartment). There is a warden (Sophie) who watches over my every move. I am restricted in the activities that I am allowed to do. In fact I am only allowed to do 3 activities each day (feed Sophie, change Sophie's diaper, and hold Sophie). If I try to do anything other than those 3 activities, the warden yells and screams at me. Many days, I wear a uniform day and night (my pajamas)- the reason being that if I did something like change my clothes or brushed my teeth, I would be doing something other than one of the 3 acceptable activites and therefore the warden would yell at me again. I do not have control over my schedule- I am told when to wake up and when I am allowed to sleep by the warden. If I have shown good behavior, I am occasionally allowed recreational time outside. This time is short and is heavily monitored by the warden. At anytime if she thinks I have crossed the line, she lets me know my time is up and it's back to the jail cell again.

I've been told by many that it will only be like this for a short time. It's a nice thought, but I don't know that I believe them...I'm pretty sure I was issued a life sentence without opportunity for parole...

5 comments:

kenders said...

LOL! Okay, I know it's mean to laugh at your misery and frustrations, but you truly have a gift for writing satire. Let's just say, I'm glad you're my best friend cuz you can make me laugh when life sucks.

Alright, back to reality. I'm really sorry that the "Warden" isn't being so nice. You should tell her to knock it off like you did when she would kick you hard in the womb. :)

I'm also told that it will get better with time. Just remember how precious and cute she is when she's crying her eyes out. Or call me and say this sucks...can you hear that?

Love ya and thanks for the timely laughs. :)

The Shane's said...

don't worry bethany. it really does get easier. if it makes you feel any better... at least you didn't have twins. hugz!

esherman10 said...

haha....I know how you feel! I'm looking forward to being able to get out more, too.

Ambyr said...

Bethany! I am dying. You are so funny! You have taken me back to those days and I so relate! I'm going to have to come visit and give your "warden" a talking to...

staci said...

The worst mistake I made as a new mom was thinking that I could go run all the errands I wanted with a new baby-- she was gonna fit into my life, right. Well, as soon as I realized one task a day is accomplishment, my life got better. It WILL get better, I promise!