Monday, January 12, 2009

Free Fun

On January 7th, I decided to take advantage of the wonderful benefit many San Francisco museums offer- free day! Myself, Siera Peterson, and Sara Farrell went to brave the crowds at the San Francisco Exploratorium and were very pleasantly surprised to find a very moderate number of people there.

I had never been to Exploratorium and had great fun going around and looking at all the attractions. While there were a few things there that Sophie liked now, I think it will be even more fun to take her there when she's a bit older.

Sophie was amazed by the metal rods that demonstrated the movement of waves.

The old hand through the bubble trick. If you look carefully you can see my shadow in the bubble.
Stroller shadows
Mesmerizing lights
Thanks to the science/magic of rotating mirrors, Siera and I were able to see that we would have really funny looking children.
More cool bubble tricks
Little girl, big chair. Big girl, little chair.
Playing with friends
This was my favorite display- a toilet drinking fountain. It was an example of how perceptions influence our decisions. This was a toilet that had never been used as a toilet and was totally clean but because of the associations we have with toilets, most people won't use this drinking fountain. Except for people like me who don't care about that kind of thing and see it as more of a dare :)
By the end of it, Sophie was wiped. All the thinking and science in this place is enough to make anyone need a nap.

1 comment:

kenders said...

That drinking fountain is crazy! I've never seen one like that before.