Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Crazy Nice

People always say how nice everyone is here. I noticed it as soon as I moved. People are so nice...to the point of when you have moved from CA it throws you off at first. Today I was reminded of how much nicer people are here...

I was downtown (we ate lunch in Warren's office) walking back to my car with the girls in the double Phil and Ted's. I pass a hotel and I see that there's a homeless guy rambling/yelling to the hotel bellhop/porter. Sure enough after I pass, I can hear him stop talking to the hotel people and start to walk down the street in my direction. I stop at the corner waiting for the signal to cross and he walks up to me. "Greeeaaat. A homeless guy to deal with. What's he going to do?" To my utter surprise,  he tells me he is sorry for his previous yelling and behavior. Apparently he had been drunk and a little out of control and he was sorry for his behavior. And he called me ma'am! Can you believe that? In SF, the homeless people smell foul, spit on you, usually have body parts exposed, ramble incoherently and yell. In Portland, they call you ma'am and apologize for any unseemly behavior you may have witnessed them doing.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That is a very strange story. And it sounds like a conference talk kind of story or something. :)