About two weeks ago, one of the most blessed and hallowed holidays of the year was upon us- September 3rd-my birthday! Woot woot :)
I think my birthday is a pretty awesome event and I have no shame about being so excited about it. My husband always does a superb job at creating wonderful birthdays and this year was no exception.
The night before my birthday I was presented with a card that instructed me to meet Warren in the city at 4pm the next day and fun would ensue. The next day a babysitter showed up at my door, I got ready, hopped on BART and met Warren in the city. First on the agenda was a movie at the Metron- we saw "500 Days of Summer". Such a cute fun movie and Warren actually liked it too. Then we wandered around the new(er) Westfield Shopping Center and window shopped; and finally headed over to dinner. Warren took me to Gitane- a spanish/basque style restaurant- located on Claude Lane. I was proud of myself because instead of sticking with a usual type of dish like filet mignon with a demi-glaze, I was adventurous and had bacon bon-bons and a rabbit paella (had rabbit, chorizo, escargot, saffron rice and sweet peas). Oh yes- and we had beignets for dessert. The restaurant was very chic and cool, which of course means the lighting was way to low to be able to take a decent picture, hence the lack of visual documentation.
We arrived home where I was presented with a personal sized Baskin Robbins ice cream cake. (Ok technically, I think it's supposed to feed like 4-6 but to me it's personal sized :) As I was thanking Warren for a wonderful evening, he presented me with another card. I opened it up to find that apparently that evening had just been a celebration. My present was that the next evening, he was taking me to stay overnight at Half Moon Bay. A baby sitter was lined up, a hotel was booked, restaurant reservations were made- all I had to do was pack a bag. How great is Warren?
The next evening, we took a short drive over the hill and there we were in Half Moon Bay. I always forget just how very close we are to that beautiful little town. We pulled up to our hotel which was right across a street from the Miramar beach area.
As we checked in, I was delighted to find that this wasn't just a hotel, but a bed and breakfast. Warren hadn't even realized it, but still got extra points for choosing the place. The Cypress Inn offered breakfast delivered to your door as well as dessert in the evening- and that night was brownies :)
We scooted off to dinner at Sam's Chowder house where we enjoyed a lovely fare of seafood. As we ate, we took time to enjoy each other and quietly mock a mid-fifties couple who were at dinner with their small yappy dog who was dressed in a sweater. The more they snuggled and gave on the mouth kisses to the dog, the more we enjoyed ourselves- lol.
After dinner, we headed back to the hotel to pick up our free brownies and enjoy twilight at the beach.
Then, it was off to the Ritz-Carlton to sample the hot chocolate bar. The hot chocolate was everything we hoped it would be- rich, decadent, and oh so very chocolatey. Warren and I share a cup and we couldn't even finish it, it was that rich. The weather was amazing that night- hardly any wind and not that cold. It was so enjoyable to sit outside by the bonfire while watching and listening to the ocean.
4 comments:
you guys really do know how to celebrate a b-day. Don't tell Matt about this, his birthday is on Saturday and poor guy gets streamers and cake.
How wonderful!! He is so thoughtful!
Wow - What a celebration! I loved reading about it. Now I am hungry, hee hee...
Happy Birthday. Nice work Warren, I wouldn't have expected anything less:)
Post a Comment