Everyone has a story about how they were somehow neglected/left behind/locked in etc by their parents. Warren likes to routinely recount his experience of how his mother forgot him at the hardware store one night. I tell the tale of how my father rolled the window up on my fingers while we were driving one day. Every one has a story.
And this past Saturday afternoon, because I am such a giver, I bestowed that gift upon my own children. Some would say it's so early in life to give such a memory. I say start early because that way there can be more than one story. And more is always better, right? LOLOL!
Saturday me and the girls made a run to Cascade Station (shopping complex by the airport). First was Target to spend birthday money on toys and then to IKEA. We shopped for toy organization, lunched, and ran out just as everyone was having their afternoon meltdowns. I loaded Sophia into the car, gave her a snack, fed the baby, put the baby in the carseat, and shut the door. As I walked around to the driver's side, I felt such a sense of relief and accomplishment. I had gotten everything we needed, the car was loaded, everyone was happy and smiling again- I had done it.
And then I grabbed the handle of the car door. And you guessed it- it was locked. All the doors were locked. In a split second, it had gone from being "Saturday" to "that day that mom locked her keys and all of us in the car".
Thanks to two random kind strangers who let me use their cell phone and my trusty AAA plus membership, we got the door opened in 20 minutes or less. Fun fact- if you lock your kids in your car, you get priority status with AAA. During those 20 minutes, I stood by the car window trying to entertain the kids with funny faces. Several people walked by looking at me strangely and then others seemed to give a knowing look of "Oh yes, I've done that before too." :)
When all was said and done, I settled everyone back down, and drove us over to Jamba Juice for a cold treat. Hopefully the yumminess of the smoothie will override the trauma of the event in their memories. I know I still remember how good that A&W rootbeer freeze tasted after Dad smashed my fingers... :)
4 comments:
Bahahaha. This is such a great story. And I loved how you told it.
Too bad they will be too young to remember this great story. I always worry that I'm gonna lock myself out of the car after its loaded with groceries or whatever. Hasn't happened yet. Its just a matter of time...
I concur with Amy...your delivery was hilarious! So giving you are :)
When you said you locked the kids in the car I was expecting to read about how you played charades with Sophia and got her to unlock the car and let you in! I guess AAA works too.
Post a Comment