When the weekend began, we had no big plans for anything special. But by Monday night we had ended up having one of the most fun weekends in a long time.
Saturday we spent all day cleaning the house. The theory was we would get our chores done so we could play guilt free the rest of the weekend. Sunday we went down to Wilsonville to see 2 of my cousins speak in church. Charles had just returned from his mission in Chile and Ethan was getting ready to leave for Texas. After church, my aunt and uncle invited us out to stay at the beach (Manzanita) with them. With the chores being done and no real plans for Monday, it was an easy decision. We hurried home, packed up and drove out to the coast.
Sunday night was game night and we played a rousing game of charades. Everyone stayed up way past their bedtimes, we ate lots of ice cream and food- it was everything naughty you should do on vacation. While I've always known these relatives (mom's sister and her family) it was so fun to reconnect with them and just have fun together for an extended period of time rather then just a few hours. I felt like I really got to know them better.
Monday morning was basketball, a fabulous french toast brunch and then the beach. We just walked out the house, down the street...
and there it was.
I loved the tall grass up on the hill
Except for us, the beach was pretty empty. Empty enough to easily take shots like this:
Sophia loved walking the dogs
and finding shells with Abigail
There was sand castle/fort building
Ultimate frisbee
and kite flying
Eleanor took a snooze
while I walked around taking pictures
Once the sand fort was constructed, like true engineers, my cousins decided it needed to be tested for durability. It was determined that the fort could hold 6 before it started to implode.
Eleanor and I flew kites too.
Such a fine time at the beach AND we got a family picture with everyone in it. The next goal would be a family pic where every one's face is shown :)
Right before leaving, Eleanor woke up so we let her try out the sand.
Spending time at the beach was a lovely treat. But the best part of everything was I came away from the weekend feeling more connected to my relatives- feeling like I really did have family in Oregon. It's interesting how even though you can grow up mostly apart from each other, the fact that you are simply family can bond you together.
No comments:
Post a Comment